This handy up-to-date in-the-field reference contains the full text of the workplace health and safety legislation applicable to federally-regulated employers, plus 7 interpretive chapters. This guide is current to March 2019. Some of the important regulatory highlights and changes addressed in this edition include:
The HANDI-GUIDE contains 7 interpretive chapters, plus the following legislation:
- Part II, Occupational Health and Safety, Canada Labour Code
- Canadian Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
- Policy Committees, Work Place Committees and Health and Safety Representatives Regulations
- Aviation Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Coal Mining Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Maritime Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Oil and Gas Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
- On Board Trains Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
The interpretive chapters include:
- NEW: Regulatory Update – reviews the most important regulatory changes from 2016 to early 2019, and discusses other changes that will occur in 2019 and 2020; information on contacting and reporting to the federal Labour Program (Workplace Health and Safety); OHS Resources available from the Labour Program; Labour Program’s Forward Regulatory Plan
- Chapter 1 reviews the general duties of employers, supervisors and employees with duties under federal OHS legislation.
- Chapter 2 addresses enforcement mechanisms, powers of health and safety officers, and principles of due diligence as related to OHS compliance.
- Chapter 3 reviews the OHS responsibilities of supervisors.
- Chapter 4 discusses the OHS responsibilities of workers.
- Chapter 5 references the Policy Committees, Work Place Committees and Health and Safety Representatives Regulations and outlines the role of occupational health and safety committees & occupational health and safety representatives. In addition, this chapter discusses the requirement for employers with 300+ employees to have a policy health and safety committee.
Some of the important regulatory matters and topical issues addressed in the Regulatory Update include:
- Updated OELs for Grain Dust and Flour Dust
- Airborne Asbestos – Updates to OHS Regulations
- Summary of Compliance with WHMIS 2015
- Workplace Impairment and Cannabis
- Prevention of Harassment and Violence in Federally Regulated Workplaces
- Administrative Monetary Penalties for OHS Violations (proposed; not yet in force)
- Adding a Privacy Notice to Hazardous Occurrence Reports
- Amendments to COHS Regulations – Safety Equipment/Materials Standards
- Minor Amendments to Oil and Gas Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
- Amendments to COHS Regulations – thermal stress, nanoparticles and ultraviolet radiation
- Amending the COHS Regulations – Confined Spaces
- Amending Four Occupational Health and Safety Regulations – Updating References to Standards