Insightful and dependable interpretation of the latest developments in the Federal Courts
Written by a well-respected team of authors, Federal Courts Practice is a comprehensive guide to the laws that govern the Federal Courts, with insightful expert commentary and case digests. This publication includes:
- Introductory overview containing a comprehensive, insightful analysis of recent decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada and the Federal Courts on jurisdiction, judicial review, intellectual property, maritime law issues, and conflict of interest
- Full text reproduction in both official languages of the current versions of the Federal Courts Act, Federal Courts Rules and Forms, the Federal Courts Immigration and Refugee Protection Rules, and the public interest immunity provisions of the Canada Evidence Act
- Section-by-section and rule-by-rule analysis and commentary by the authors – a judge of the Federal Court and two senior practitioners – on the latest key decisions
- Bilingual forms and tariffs of fees under the Federal Courts Rules
- Option to access the full text of the publication as Thomson Reuters ProView™ eBook*
- Option to receive Practice Advisor, an exclusive quarterly email service keeping you current on all significant statutory and regulatory changes, at no extra cost upon request, for standing order subscribers
New and updated in this edition
Federal Courts Practice 2018 continues the tradition of providing advice on a complete range of judicial review, trial and appellate proceedings.
- The Federal Courts Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. F-7 has been updated to S.C. 2017, c. 20
- The Canada Evidence Act, R.S.C. 1985, c.C-5 has been updated to S.C. 2017, c. 9
Legislation has been generally updated to Canada Gazette vol. 151:17 (August 23, 2017).
- The list of Judges and Prothonotaries has been updated.
- Author commentary has been added and updated to discuss developments in case law, legislative amendments, and changes to court processes and procedures outlined in Notices to the Profession.
- Part 1 - The Jurisdiction of the Federal Courts: An Overview has been updated by the authors.
- Windsor (City) v. Canadian Transit Co., 2016 SCC 54 (sections 3, 18.1 and 23 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Endean v. British Columbia, 2016 SCC 42 (section 3 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Apotex Inc. v. Ambrose, 2017 FC 487 (section 17 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Ernest v. Alberta Energy Regulator, 2017 SCC 1 (section 18.1 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Edmonton (City) v. Edmonton East (Capilano) Shopping Centres Ltd., 2016 SCC 47 (section 18.1 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon LLP v. Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, 2016 SCC 30 (section 50 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Douez v. Facebook, Inc., 2017 SCC 33 (section 50 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Google Inc. v. Equustek Solutions Inc., 2017 SCC 3 (section 20 of the Federal Courts Act and rule 373 of the Federal Courts Rules)
- Lizotte v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2016 SCC 52 (rule 223 of the Federal Courts Rules)
- Quebec (Criminal and Penal Prosecutions) v. Jodoin, 2017 SCC 26 (rule 404 of the Federal Courts Rules)
- Pintea v. Johns, 2017 SCC 23 (rule 466 of the Federal Courts Rules)
Thomson Reuters ProView®
Thomson Reuters ProView® is a professional grade eBook platform that gives you the freedom to work however, whenever and wherever you want. Now you can access the eBook version of this publication from your computer or tablet, or directly from your web browser.*
*Thomson Reuters ProView is not applicable to bookstores, academic institutions, and students. iPad is a trademark of Apple, Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
Visit www.carswell.com/proview for more information.