The annotations in The 2017-2018 Annotated Ontario Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Acts are organized around the various sections of the provincial Act. Following the text of each section there is a general Commentary, a description of Related Provisions in the provincial Act and, under the heading Municipal Information and Privacy Act, a reference to the equivalent section of MFIPPA and a note of any differences it may exhibit, as well as a description of the related provisions of that Act.
The 2017-1018 edition of contains, among others:
- Amendments to the legislation up to June 1, 2017
- Order PO-3643 (Re Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services; August 29, 2016) respecting disclosure of information that enables an individual to be identified
- Order PO-3693 (Re Workplace Safety & Insurance Board; January 31, 2017), in which the Commissioner found that the names of members of the board’s drug advisory committee did not constitute personal information.
- Order PO-3617 (Re Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care; June 1, 2016), was upheld on judicial review in Ontario Medical Association v. Ontario (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2017 ONSC 4090 (Ont. Div. Ct.)
- Order PO-3666 (Re McMaster University; November 10, 2016), emails sent to or by a professor are not in the custody or control of the university.
- Order PO-3520 (Re Ministry of the Attorney General; August 7, 2015), upheld on judicial review in Children’s Lawyer for Ontario v Ontario (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2017 ONSC 642 (Ont. Div. Ct.)
- Order PO-3691 (Re Public Guardian & Trustee; January 27, 2017) The requester made approximately 40 requests in a 9-week period. Projecting that quantity over an entire year would result in over 230 requests. This volume is excessive. These requests amount to a pattern of conduct that would interfere with the institution’s operations, based on the amount of work required by the institution to respond to each of the requests. An appropriate remedy is to restrict the requester to five active requests at any given time