The B.C. Employment Standards Act provides the minimum standards for working in British Columbia.
Designed to give human resources practitioners and their advisors a concise summary of employers’ obligations under the law, this Quick Reference sets out the rights and responsibilities of employees and employers in British Columbia workplaces. It covers issues such as minimum wage, overtime, hours of work, vacations, statutory holidays, various leaves of absence, payroll records, temporary layoffs and termination of employment. The guide also includes a discussion of the definition of an employee (and the differences between employees and independent contractors), the relationship between the common law and the ESA, the applicability of the ESA to unionized employees, various classes of individuals exempted from certain parts of the legislation, and complaint, investigation, enforcement and determination procedures.
The book details recent changes to the Act by topical heading and explains the new and revised compliance requirements. The B.C. Employment Standards Act: Quick Reference - 2018 Edition gives you quick access to all the standards and provisions you need to know. In addition to an overview of the B.C. Employment Standards Act and a discussion of the historical background of the legislation, this guide also includes the full text of the Act and its regulations.
WHAT’S NEW IN THE 2018 EDITION
- Inclusion of commentary relating to and full text of the new Reservists' Leave Regulation, B.C. Reg. 254/2016.
- Updates to the Complaint, Investigation and Determination Procedures section.
- Addition of a New Developments section.
- Updates to the minimum wage.
- New and updated case law references and interpretations relating to various provisions throughout the Act and its regulations.