Annual Review of Insolvency Law is a collection of papers on insolvency issues contributed by practitioners, academics and the judiciary
Editors: Dr. Janis P. Sarra, LL.B., LL.M., S.J.D.
The Honourable Justice Barbara Romaine
The Annual Review of Insolvency Law 2016 offers a collection of articles from today's experts, both academic and practising. Authors weigh in on the most vital debates, theorize on future implications of current rules and trends, and scrutinize the practical implications of recent proceedings and challenges.
Also available on Insolvency Source.
Table of Contents
- Edward A Sellers, “Canada 150, Reflecting on the Past and Considering the Future of Canada’s Insolvency Regime: Made in Canada Solutions”
- Janis Sarra, “The Oscillating Pendulum: Canada’s Sesquicentennial and Finding the Equilibrium for Insolvency Law”
- Andrea Yandreski and Brian F Empey, “Officer of the Court: Exploring the Role of the Information Officer”
- Tim Louman-Gardiner, “Bulletproof Vesting Orders: The Historical Development and Modern Limits on the Court’s Jurisdiction to Vest”
- Matthew Nied and Natalie Levine, “Pre-Packaged Sales Transactions under the CCAA: Where are These Packages From, What do They Look Like and Where are They Going
- Andrew J Hatnay, “Restructuring, Liquidating, Now Disengagement: the Use of the CCAA by Corporate Parents to Disengage from Canadian Operations”
- Micheline Gleixner, “Reconsidering Legislative Competence over Consumer Credit in Canada”
- Michelle Grant, Vicki Tickle and Lance Williams, “Is that my Receivable?”
- Luc Morin and Guillaume-Pierre Michaud, “Set-Off and Compensation in Insolvency Restructuring under the BIA/CCAA: After the Kitco and Beyond the Rack Decisions”
- Tushara Weerasooriya, Adam Maerov, Caireen Hanert and Kourtney Rylands, “Pre-Packs under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act: Has the Push for Efficiency Undermined Fairness?”
- Jeffrey L Oliver and Tom Cumming, “Redwater Energy Corporation and the Evolution of Section 14.06: Balancing Insolvency and Regulatory Laws in the Oil Patch”
- Tevia R M Jeffries and Ray Power, “A Matter of TrustBuddy: When Online Lenders Fail”
- Anna Lund, “Gambling Debt in Personal Insolvency Proceedings: The Approach of Insolvency Trustees and Judicial Officers"
- Martin Neveu, Martin Cyrenne, Philippe Levac and Corinne Escaravage, “Pension Law and Insolvency Law: Is it Manageable?”
- Kenneth David Kraft and Ethan Chang, “The Judge Got It Wrong? A Look at the Appeal Provisions of the BIA”
- Janis Sarra and Edward Waitzer, “Climate Change – A Case Study/Tipping Point for Rebalancing Interests in Insolvency Law ?”
- Janis Sarra et Edward Waitzer, « Le changement climatique – Étude de cas/Un élément déterminant dans le rééquilibrage des intérêts en matière de loi sur l’insolvabilité ? »
- Sherry A Kettle, “The Creative Receivership”
- Colin D Brousson, “Canadian First Nations and Insolvency Proceedings. How Much Influence?"
- Alain Riendeau and Brandon Farber, “Using the CCAA to Achieve a Global Resolution of Complex Litigation “To Infinity and Beyond!” - Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story”
- Jean-Daniel Breton, “Distribution Certificates – Have We Found The Holy Grail?”
- Philippe Bélanger et Sylvain Rigaud, « L’arrêt Lemare Lake, change-t-il la pratique au Québec en matière de nomination de séquestre? »
- Ari Y Sorek, “Treatment of Payment Processors in Insolvency Contexts: Critical Suppliers, Critical Creditors, or Purveyors of Conditional Credit? A Case Comment of the Decision in Re 7098961 Canada Inc (Beyond the Rack Enterprises Inc)”
- Bill James and Daniel Charrette, “A New Professional Designation for Canada’s Insolvency Practitioners”
- Stephanie Ben-Ishai and Saul Schwartz, “Payday Lending in Canada: 10 Years Later”
- Julien Archambault, « Les impacts du nouveau Code de procédure civile en matière de procédures sous la Loi sur la faillite et l’insolvabilité »
- Julien Archambault, “Impact of the New Code of Civil Procedure on Proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act”
- Peter Birkness and Sarah Hawco, “Cause and Effect: Oil Prices and Calgary Lending Practices, an Examination of Recent Developments in the Calgary Lending Market”
- Melanie Gaston and Emily Paplawski, “The Effects of Various Insolvency Proceedings on Joint Operating Interests in the Alberta Energy Industry”
- William A Courage, “Who’s in Charge Here – Is there a Proliferation of Intermediaries in the Consumer Insolvency Market?”
- H Lance Williams, “Substance Over Form? A Review of the Evolving Practice of Approving the Fees of Court Officers”
- Janis Sarra, “An Opportune Moment - Retooling the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act to Address Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) Insolvency in Canada”