With contributions from
: Kate Waters, Nicola Simmons, Kimberley Ishmael, and Patricia Harper
This is the first comprehensive work on the health and safety issues of students. It provides practical advice for everyday use by school boards, administrators and teachers on how to prepare and implement health and safety practices.
Chapters are organized by key categories covering the essential issues such as:
An Educator's Guide to the Health and Safety of Students
- Curriculum and extra-curricular activities – hazards in science and technology classes, co-operative placements, physical education, excursions
- Premises – school buildings, portables and other physical premises occupied by students while attending school
- Emergency preparedness – natural and human disasters
- Disease and illness – communicable diseases, immunization and emergency plans
- Food and water safety – including allergens
- Transportation – to and from school
- Students with special needs – medical and behavioural
includes references to legislation and case law, which it interprets and summarizes, so the information is clear and easy to understand.